Home Visit Guidelines
Part of the application process includes a home visit. During your home visit the Student GPS representative will spend time with you to go over your Homestay Placement Packet. This will be a good time to ask questions. Our goal is to assist you in having the best possible experience as a Student GPS Host Family.
Another component of the home visit will be a tour of your home. The Student GPS representative will be respectful of your privacy. The focus of the tour will be on the following:
- Overall cleanliness and orderliness, including the kitchen and eating area
- To assess for potential safety issues
- The number and types of pets in the home
- Layout and general functionality of student bedroom(s) – The student’s room is to be furnished with a bed and a set of linens, desk with chair, dresser, closet space, and appropriate lighting. The student is to have access to the internet.
- Location and general condition of the bathroom available for student use
- Parking area for student’s bicycle
- Location of smoking area, if any
Annual Home Visit
As a service to our host families and students an annual home visit will be scheduled. During the annual visit the Student GPS representative will spend time with the family to review the previous year’s experience and to do a home tour. The tour will focus on the same areas as in the initial home visit.